At the rear of the sanctuary was the 1871 tracker organ built by William A Johnson of Westfield, Mass. His Opus 345
In 1904 the organ was moved to the front arch of the sanctuary
By 1904 the faux columns were gone
The walls were plain, but the ceiling was ornately decorated!
In 1931 the organ's 1,200 pipes were installed in three chambers behind the front wall of the sanctuary. A new baptistry was placed below the center organ chamber.
More information on the organ can be found HERE
When the Sanctuary was redecorated in 1995, it was decided that the 1931 plywood wall within the archway did not match the 1871 room, and should go! The replacement curtain was set as far back as the organ mechanism would allow, giving the arch depth that was lacking with the wall. The curtain is very sheer, allowing that part of the organ to speak freely into the room.