Detail from a
SANBORN FIRE INSURANCE MAP - 1892
This map shows the area of the Yates Lyceum two years after it's construction. First called the Sheppard Opera House, it was incorrectly labeled "Sherman Opera House". The theater and it's entrance are outlined in red.
Main Street is along the left edge of the map.
Main Street building locations, starting from the top:
- The building marked "Furn'e", which later became the A&P Grocery Store, stood about at the location of the right lane of the driveway which now leads to the present parking lot.
- The Fire House building and the "Tea and China" shop (the later being the northern most of several shops in the large block) stood about where the Milo office is now.
- The areas labled "P.O.", "Entrance", "Vac". and "Fancy" were where the Elk's Club is now.
~ ~ (The above 3 buildings were lost as a result of the firehouse fire in 1967.) ~ ~
- The D.G. and YMCA is now the Lown's building.
- The Bank is now the Maxwell building (Keuka Arts Center).
The information under the Opera House reads:
"JANITOR SLEEPS ON PREMISES. HEATED
BY STEAM FROM B'L'R IN D.G.STORE
ADJOINING. LIGHTS: GAS. 3BBLS
WATER & 6 PAILS ON EA. FLOOR OF